Sunday, December 8, 2013

Exercise, Dining and Fitness in Haifa Israel.



Inbal is the name of my favorite server at The Kapiot Cafe in Haifa. I enjoy the oogiot riba or jelly cookies at our local pub. I am a sixty five year old man with just a bit of a pot belly. Inbal is a twenty one year old resident of Haifa who is a student in dance and fitness buff. She works at the Kapiot once a week. She admonishes me often to eat better and exercise daily. "You must take care of yourself at your age, sir" she lectures me in a well meaning way. "There are several health clubs in our neighborhood, Earl". My definition of exercise is an Activity requiring physical effort, carried out especially to sustain or improve health and fitness.




Israelis like much of the world seem obsessed with health and fitness issues. Good for them. However, like much of the world, a lot of it is just talk. I am wrote this story while watching a smoking area filled with customers, more than an ample number of customers eating oogiot, and a very busy bartender serving lots of beer and peanuts. Statistics claim that only twenty five percent of Israelis are overweight, a figure far lower than Americans. Yet, I still see lots of pot bellies wherever I go in Haifa.

Haifa has the same health services as in The United States. We have several health clubs, several massage clubs, Pilate's studios, and a community park with an outdoor walking trail. Massage, whirlpool, and steam rooms. There are public swimming pools, hiking clubs, the beautiful sea, and organized sports activities for all ages. Football (soccer), basketball, swimming, tennis, and judo are the most popular sports. Inbal explained to me that our skin is the largest organ in our body and needs to be treated properly. I have learned to drink lots of water. I am a big believer in massage, whirlpool treatments, steam rooms, and pedicures.

I have been pleasantly surprised as an immigrant to Israel that most of the services that I enjoyed in America are available here in Israel. We can get a massage, enjoy a whirlpool, steam a bit, walk along a beautiful trail and then enjoy a Big Mac or visit Pizza Hut. Attitudes toward exercise are not all that different as in America. It is easier to say that you will do something than to actually do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment